How to Start a Blog
Blogging is a way for you to express the ideas you have about a particular topic. Previously you would have had to speak somewhere or find an in to a magazine. These are both expensive propositions compared to blogging. However, if you know a lot about a topic but not a lot about the web, this can be very intimidating. What steps should you take to get started?
- Pick a topic. Having a blog about a certain topic allows readers to know what they should expect from you, making it easier to decide if they want to subscribe to your blog.
- Obtain a domain name. A domain name is the URL for your website. You can either go to a domain registrar such as NameCheap, or it is possible that a hosting company such as BurnTheEarth will provide a domain name to you free of charge.
- Get web hosting. Essentially, the information you post to your blog has to be stored somewhere. A hosting company that uses cPanel is ideal.
- Once you purchase web hosting, your hosting company will give you information to log in. If you are using cPanel hosting, you will see something called Fantastico in your cPanel interface, which is an autoinstaller. You will be able to set up WordPress, which is the most popular blogging software in the world. WordPress is open source, meaning you can donate to the project but you don’t have to pay for it.
- WordPress allows you to easily create categories, posts, and tags for your blog. You will also be able to change your template to better match the look and feel you are looking for.